The Energy Assistance program is designed to offset winter heating costs for low-income (below 60% of state median income) households in Windham and Tolland counties.
Benefits are determined by total household gross income and liquid assets. Deliverable-heated households may use benefits starting November 15 and ending March 15. Utility-heated households (CL&P and YES Yankee Gas - now Eversource Energy) are eligible to participate in the matching payment programs and are protected from utility shut-off from November 15 through April 15.
What do I do if I want to apply for help?
To apply for assistance, applicants must schedule an appointment and provide copies of the following documents for all household members.
- Names, birth dates and Social Security cards.
- Gross income for four consecutive weeks immediately prior to your application (paystubs, self-employment worksheet, unemployment printout) for everyone in the household over 18.
- Self-employment worksheet, 1040 and Schedule C.
- SS, SSI, SSDI Cash Assistance - statement required from debit card deposits, SNAP, rental income (monthly)
- Pensions, VA, bank interest (CD, IRA)
- Child support and/or alimony documents
- Lease, rent receipt, mortgage statements, tax bill or lot rent receipt.
- Eversource Energy (CL&P and/or Yankee Gas bills) in adult household member’s name.
- Landlord’s name, address and phone.
- All pages from your recent bank accounts statements showing name and account numbers (checking & savings). Name of bank and account numbers must be on the printed statements.
- Financial aid forms for everyone in the household.
Residents of Windham and Tolland counties can contact Access in Willimantic at 860-430-7423 or in Danielson at 860-412-1600 to make an appointment. Appointments are currently available during the agency’s normal business hours of 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Households that have received energy assistance in the past must reapply and bring in updated documentation to be eligible for the new heating season. Each applicant must bring in copies of their documentation and if there is missing documentation they will be rescheduled.